"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

Monday, October 18, 2010

Christmas lights, Impatients & Mums...embracing Change.

OK it's here. Fall. I can't ignore it any longer as the drive this past Friday afternoon to drop my daughter off for a youth retreat fully indicated...leaves are changing and it's no longer 90 degrees, sadly. This past weekend I performed my normal fall transition ritual...with regret, but with an understanding of it's necessity...pulling out the still pretty but fading annuals in place of the cool weather hardy Mums. Michele a week earlier began to antagonize my "fall resistance" with a few candles and decorations, which I must admit are very pretty.

I started to think...how often to we hang on to something long after it is useful, effective or even appropriate? Know anyone with Christmas lights still hanging in July? Now I may not have Christmas lights still hanging...but I do a have a collection of items in the garage that needs to go thru a little "transitioning". In our house recently major change has occurred, kids off to college and junior high, new work schedules, the house is drastically different. It's called "change"...it's neither good or bad, can be resisted, but many times is just simply necessary.

Jesus' life brought much change to a people who prided themselves on not changing. I really think on a very basic level, this is what brought Him to Calvary. Matthew 24 & 16 and the discussion of the "signs of the times" is also a teaching that we need to be very aware of what is happening now...what is changing and staying the same...so that we may be prepared. "Prepare" is a word the Lord brought to me in early 2010 for which I admit, have not done a good job at aligning myself to, but will get better. Prepare for the "seasons change". It's October and the first frost will soon be upon us. I cannot go out and plant Impatiens...because I love them or have always planted them or even because people love them (which I do!)...because it is simply a different ...."season". They will not grow now, and if they do will die at the first frost, it's time for something different.

I looked back Saturday and smiled on my effort. The Ivy was trimmed, Mums and pumpkins placed appropriately amongst the fading Hydrangeas...it looked just right...for this "season". It was still my house, same color, same driveway and cars... but now it is ready for what lies ahead. The next step? Clean the gutters. Question. What is God calling you to next? What are you preparing for? What is God changing in you (your perspective, approach, philosophy, attitude, etc) for what He wants to do in and thru you next?

Whatever is is...don't fear, resist or ignore the change like I have sometimes done, and OK, sometimes still do. But embrace it...God may be looking to give you a whole new perspective.

Ps. The chair runner under my office chair fell apart..was costly to replace, and I didn't really want to...but it revealed shockingly...that the carpet was dirty. I didn't notice it till I took up the plastic runner. Perspective is amazing. Now I have  to clean the gutters and clean the carpet.