"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." -Albert Einstein

Friday, October 1, 2010

Execution

Many great ideas, dreams, plans for life and ministry have passed us by, due to among many reasons, but save one...our failure to execute. Larry Bossidy wrote a book that many times comes back to haunt me "EXECUTION - The discipline of getting things done". I think by nature I am a dreamer. A few years ago I had intense expectations of what I wanted my favorite holiday to look like, Christmas. I love the lights, sounds, celebrations, traditions that we have invited to accompany the central remembrance of the birth of our Savior. At the end of each December I would calendar in dates, events, occurrences to make our celebration and family time more memorable the following year. It was fun as the next season approached to follow the previous years directives while being sensitive to new things that came along. This past summer was textbook un-execution. We had dreams, hopes...but without a plan put in place we did'nt go or do really any of the things we had hoped. No Cape May, Ocean City or Beach Haven family beach days...the list could go on to bonfires bike rides and walks on the boardwalk. We allowed the "moment" to dictate the event. While that sounds romantic at times, the reality is that you find yourself without a plan to move you or it becomes too late to act.

What I realize now is...that time is short. Days pass by quickly and for sure they turn into weeks, months and years. I guess what I am thinking is...I don't really have left the number of years that have gone by already. I desire...deeply...to execute the God given plan and destiny that he has for me and those around me. Proverbs 16:9 "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps". I do not want there to be a disconnect between the planning of whats in my heart and the steps taken. I truly want each day to count...to matter. I am making the "to do" list. I will not be over whelmed by its largeness or incapacitated by the inability of where to begin...for I confidently know that the Lord will determine my steps.